• Pupil Services

    Protected Handicapped Services

    In compliance with state and federal law, the Central Dauphin School District provides to each protected handicapped student without discrimination or cost to the student or family, those related aids, services or accommodations which are needed to provide equal opportunity to participate in and obtain the benefits of the school program and extracurricular activities to the maximum extent appropriate to the student's abilities. In order to qualify as a protected handicapped student, the child must be of school age with a physical or mental disability which substantially limits or prohibits participation in or access to an aspect of the school program.

    These services and protections for "protected handicapped students" are distinct from those applicable to all eligible or exceptional students enrolled (or seeking enrollment) in special education programs.


    Directory Information

    Directory information includes a pupil's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weights and heights of the members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent or previous educational agency or institution attended by the pupil and other similar information.

    Directory information may be made available to authorized representatives of governmental agencies, health and safety officials and other school officials responsible for obtaining such information in the performance of their duty. The purpose of providing directory information is to help the pupil or protect others. Requests for such information by the general public may be granted if, in the opinion of the school official in charge of maintaining the record, there is a clear indication that the information requested is to be used to serve the general welfare of the pupil. Under no circumstances will directory information of this type be released or made available for the purpose of creating lists for any other purpose than those deemed necessary for the operation of school business. Parents not desiring directory information of this type released to the public, should submit their request in writing to the building principal at the beginning of each school year.

    Under the conditions and intent listed above, directory information concerning former pupils may be released by the school official or his/her designee in charge of the security of records.

    Back to top

    Displaced Student and Family Assistance

    Click HERE for more information.

    Employment Certificates

    Vacation employment certificates may be obtained from the office of the school principal. Parents must apply in person for Promise of Employment papers. No employment certificates may be issued until the pupil has furnished: legal proof of age, written promise of employment and certificate of physical fitness signed by a physician.

    General employment certificates will be secured from the Administration Office.

    Any minor of the age of seventeen (17) who is a high school graduate need not apply for an employment certificate upon furnishing proof of graduation to his/her employer.

    Back to top

    Guidance and Counseling

    Elementary - Counselors assist pupils, teachers and parents by helping identify and provide appropriate programs designed to meet individual pupil needs. This is accomplished through developmental programs, assessment, intervention, consultation and coordination of services.

    Counselors work with parents and teachers to help children acquire behavior patterns and social/personal skills necessary for developing to his/her potential. The counselor's efforts are directed toward helping pupils be successful in school by developing decision-making skills and assisting the pupils in dealing with everyday problems that are part of human growth and development.

    Secondary Guidance and counseling services are an integral part of the school program. The goal of guidance and counseling is to provide support services that afford each pupil the opportunity to achieve maximum growth and development in obtaining self-realization, social/personal skills, economic efficiency, academic excellence, and civic responsibility. Counselors assist pupils in identifying and implementing educational and vocational decision-making. Information services, scheduling and placement, individual and group evaluations, orientation programs, pupil/parent consultation and group guidance activities are available at appropriate times throughout the school year. Junior and senior high pupils are assigned to counselors by grade level and/or alphabetically.

    Additional information may be obtained by visiting the following websites:

    http://www.schoolcounselor.org/ American School Counseling Association

    http://www.psca-web.org PA School Counseling Association

    Back to top

    Homebound Instruction

    In the event your child needs to be out of school because of illness or physical incapacitation for an extended period [twenty (20) consecutive school days], arrangements can be made for homebound instruction at no expense to the parents. Instructors will be provided for only those subjects required for graduation and/or promotion. Homebound instruction is only provided on the favorable recommendation of the attending physician. Students requesting homebound instruction for more than four consecutive weeks may be required to submit additional information from the attending physician. The maximum hours of homebound instruction is 3-5 hours/week.

    Back to top

    Home and School Visitors

    Home and School Visitors are employed by the Central Dauphin School District to work with pupils, parents and agency personnel in areas of attendance, employment, homebound instruction and residency requirements.

    Home and school visitors are responsible for verifying residency regulations and addressing poor attendance patterns that disrupt a child's educational progress.

    Back to top

    Parent Visitation

    The administration and faculty of the Central Dauphin Schools wish to acknowledge your fine spirit of cooperation and to encourage you to visit the schools at any time. In order to make your visit more profitable to you and to us, we are instituting the following procedure:

    1. Please schedule your visit in advance. A phone call to the principal's office is all that you need. Advance knowledge of your visit will enable counselors or principals (elementary) to furnish you with an up-to-date progress report on your child.

    2. If you desire a conference with a teacher, make an appointment through the office. Classes will not be interrupted for this purpose.

    3. All visitors must register in the office and obtain a visitor's badge.

    Back to top

    Reading Specialists

    The district employs reading specialists who assist with in-service education, curriculum development, evaluation of reading programs and tests, corrective and remedial teaching, and serve as advisors to the teaching staff and administrators.

    Back to top

    English As a Second Language

    The Central Dauphin School District provides an educational program for each student whose dominant language is not English.  Each LIEP (Language Instructional Educational Program) is designed to meet student needs and facilitate academic achievement and English proficiency.  

    ELs (English Learners) will have a program that will utilize a variety of information to determine program placement and student scheduling.  The LIEP will be flexible and allow for changes, as needed, based on the instructional needs and language proficiency of each student. 

    Back to top

    Pupil Records

    Pupil records are an inherent part of one's education. Reasons for collecting information vary from pupil identification and accounting purposes required by state laws for reimbursement and tax purposes, to providing parents, pupils and professionals appropriate data in which to monitor and/or, when necessary, define more clearly causes for individual problems.

    Therefore, the pupil record may include, but is not limited to, personally identifiable information (such as name, address, phone numbers of parents), pupil's school grades, date of birth, attendance record, test results and evaluation reports, progress reports, health and dental records. All information is collected and maintained under such confinements of privacy as may be obtained through informed consent, verification of accuracy, limited access and appropriate use.

    Should your child transfer to another school district, his/her permanent record, cumulative folder information, testing record and health record will be forwarded to the new school district upon receipt of written notification of admission. Upon written authorization from the parent or eligible pupil, a high school transcript will be released to persons having a legitimate educational interest, such as post-secondary educational institutions and/or prospective employers. Should you have concern or reason to believe some portion of the record is in error, or handled in a way that may violate the pupil's privacy, you should discuss the matter with the building principal. If the matter is not resolved, a request in writing stating intent and reason for contesting the record should be directed to the superintendent. A ruling will be made and you will be notified of your rights should you desire to appeal further. A copy of the District Records Policy and Procedures is on file in the school principal's office.


    Reports to Parents

    Elementary - Sharing the progress of pupils with parents is done each nine weeks with a report card. Letter symbols are used and reflect the many variables that are considered to reach the grade given. In addition, teachers may use checklists and narratives to reflect students' progress.

    Parent-teacher conferences often assist in better understanding of a child's progress. Conferences can be initiated by parents by calling the school office. Teachers often arrange conferences with parents. In either case, the understanding that results will be in the best interest of the child.

    Conferences must be held at a time that will not interfere with the instructional program of the class.

    In addition to the regular report card, parent-teacher conferences will be scheduled by the school for all pupils.

    Secondary - The school year is divided into four (4) report periods. Report cards will be issued within two (2) weeks after the report period closes.

    Duplicate report cards will only be issued to pupils upon written request by the parents, only if a report card is lost or destroyed.

    Counselors may be contacted about report cards. Appointments may be made at your convenience to review student progress, test scores and educational plans.

    Pupils will be expected to satisfy all financial and other obligations before report cards are issued and pupil records are cleared.

    Progress reports to parents shall be prepared by the teacher for those pupils who are making unsatisfactory progress at the end of the fifth week in each grade period.

    Back to top

    Standardized Testing Program

    1. The Central Dauphin School District administers the following PSSA tests:

    • Grade 12 – PSSA Retest
    • Grades 5, 8 & 11 – Writing Assessment
    • Grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 11 – Math & Reading Assessment
    • Grades 4, 8 & 11 - Science Assessment
    2. The results of these tests are considered part of the student’s school record.
    3. Additional tests may be given by designated school personnel to assist students and staff in making appropriate educational decisions.
    4. Policy and procedures governing the collection, maintenance, dissemination and destruction of data is outlined in Central Dauphin School District Students Records Policy.

    Back to top


    Occupational Therapy Services

    Occupational therapists are one of the professionals who may provide services to children receiving special education. In some instances, children in regular education may also require occupational therapy assistance if they are in some way health-impaired.

    Occupational therapy is an allied health profession which is found primarily in the fields of rehabilitation, mental health, medicine, and special education. Occupational therapists receive extensive education and training in the areas of activity analysis, applied sciences, human development, and psychomotor performance.

    Occupational therapist address functional performance problems in school. The occupational therapist collaborates with teachers, parents, and other educational professionals to identify causes for the student's functional difficulties in school. If the child receives therapy or health services in the community, the school occupational therapist may consult with the community providers in order to learn more about the student's condition or needs. The school occupational therapist then assists the educational team in developing effective methods to address the student's difficulties.

    Services provided by the school occupational therapist:
    -Integrated therapeutic Programming
    -Direct treatment

    Back to top

    Social Work Services

    The primary role of the School Social Worker is to assist eligible students in resolving personal, social, and/or emotional problems that interfere with their adjustment to school and their capacity to enjoy and experience the fullest benefits of the educational process. The School Social Worker' s role and function encompass a range of duties and responsibilities to the overall education, health, and welfare of exceptional students.

    Services may be provided to parents or guardians of eligible students to increase their knowledge and utilization of community resources. The School Social Worker can facilitate the referral of exceptional students to outside agencies, i.e., Children and Youth, MH/MR, Juvenile Probation, residential treatment facilities, etc. The responsibility of tracking all students who are hospitalized or residentially placed for mental health and/or drug & alcohol issues, students placed into foster care, and court ordered placements is also part of the School Social Worker' s role.

    The School Social Worker may make contacts and gather pertinent information to provide strategies and resources for improved adjustment, through home and school visitation and serving as the liaison between the school district and community agencies.

    Back to top

    Instructional Support Team

    The purpose of the Instructional Support Team is to provide each student with the opportunity for a successful school experience. The team receives requests for assistance for academic, emotional, and/or behavioral concerns. This request can be made by parents, classroom and i,tinerant teachers, the counselor, the principal, or the nurse. After the request is screened, members of the team complete observations, conduct interviews, and complete assessments to determine the child's specific needs. The Instructional Support Team meets to review the information, brainstorm strategies and develop a plan that assists the student at being more successful. At the end of the 30-day intervention period, the IST reconvenes to review the student's progress.

    Parents are included in the entire process. Before requesting assistance from the Instructional Support Team, the classroom teacher shares the concern with the child's parents. Parents become a part of the IST. Parents participate in the Action Plan Meeting that creates the specific intervention plan for the child's needs. Parents assist in helping to implement the plan at home. Parents also participate in the Review Meeting at the conclusion of the 30-day intervention.

    To view a list of district Instructional Support Personnel click here (file: IST List)

    Back to top

    Psychological Services

    The decision to refer for a psychological or psycho-educational evaluation is usually made when considerable evidence exists that the pupil has an emotional or academic exceptionality. Among other duties, the school psychologist serves as a diagnostician; providing diagnostic assistance to counselors and other professionals; assists teachers in understanding and providing for the social, emotional and intellectual needs of children; and assists in the development of psychological and educational strategies to improve learning.

    The school psychologist will not become involved in providing individual therapy or continuous counseling. Initial referrals for psychological testing require written and informed parental consent. Findings are shared with parents and appropriate staff members. Individual reports called Comprehensive Evaluation Reports are retained at the Administration Building, Office of Pupil Services and in the pupil's cumulative folder.

    Evaluations Administered:
    -Cognitive Ability
    -Educational and Medical History


    Early Entrance to First Grade Procedures

    Click HERE for the Early Entrance Procedures for First Grade.


    Educational Trip Form

    Click HERE for the Educational Trip Form.


    Religious Observance Excuse

    Click HERE for the Form.